Do you have Costa Rican children?

Get informed about migratory regularization at

Illustración: Beneficios de tener tus papeles al día

It is worth it! 

Benefits of having your papers up to date

Illustración: Estos son los requisitos para regularizarte

Make your decision!

These are the requirements to regularize

Illustración: Estos son los requisitos para regularizarte

Yes, you can! 

Savings and employment options

  • Access to social security coverage in the Costa Rican Social Security Fund (CCSS).
  • Access to social assistance such as scholarships, housing bonds, educational programs and other subsidies that the Costa Rican State provides regularly or in emergency situations.
  • More and better employment options.
  • Admission to the formal educational system.
  • Access to banking services.
  • Possibility of entering and leaving Costa Rica, without taking risks on irregular routes, where you can suffer accidents or be a victim of organized crime.
  1. Make an application letter (it can be handwritten) in which you indicate: full name, nationality, age, occupation and why you want to get your residence in Costa Rica.
    It is very important that in the letter you also write down the exact address and a means of notification. Be careful! Try to put a phone number that you will not change soon, otherwise it will be more difficult for them to contact you.
  2. Two passport size photographs. They must be recent.
  3. Cancel $ 50 at the Bank of Costa Rica (BCR) and present the deposit receipt. You can do it by electronic transfer or by visiting a Bank of Costa Rica office (BCR). The account number is 242480-0. Your name should be in the part of the depositor's name. This means that no one else can make the payment for you.
  4. You must also deposit 2 and a half colones (Yes! Two and a half colones!) for each page of your passport and a fee of 125 colones to the BCR account number (242480-0 of the BCR).
  5. Fill out the proof of parentage form (in Spanish: formulario de filiación). You can request this form at any Migration office. It has no cost. You can also download it from the page
  6. Proof of fingerprint registration You can make your appointment online, on the site In that site you must look for the fingerprint icon to make the appointment. If you do not have Internet access, you can request the appointment by phone by calling the numbers 2586-4149, 2586-4619 or 2586-4117. This procedure is free.
  7. Birth certificate issued in your country and apostilled.
  8. Apostilled criminal record certificate. This document must be issued in your country of origin, or in the country where you have lived with regular status in the last 3 years
  9. Original passport and photocopy of all the pages of this document.
  • Cooperativism :

    Cooperativism can provide multiple benefits. Either to start a savings project or to offer your work services through a cooperative. When you join a cooperative, you are partly the owner of that group company. And if there is not yet a cooperative in your community, you can create one with a group of neighbors who want to start a project collectively. For this, you can seek the support of the National Institute for Cooperative Development, INFOCOOP, which provides support, advice and training on a permanent basis.

    If you are interested in knowing more about cooperativism and the alternatives for you and your community, you can write a message via WhatsApp to the number 6244-8580

Find out first-hand Information!

Myths and truths about migratory regularization

  • Mito 1

    Myth 1:
    Regularization is very expensive.

    Truth: Even though some of the costs can be hefty, the regularization process allows people to plan the payments, schedule and save for them.

  • Mito 2

    Myth 2:
    All regularization processes are the same.

    Truth: The General Directorate of Migration and Aliens (DGME), through its different departments, offers alternatives that are adapted to each case and migration status. It is best to ask directly at the institution.

  • Mito 3

    Myth 3:
    I need to hire a lawyer to get regularized.

    Truth: All paperwork can be done in person in the General Directorate of Migration and Aliens without a lawyer.

  • Mito 4

    Myth 4:
    To get regularized by link to Costa Rican, I need to go first to my country of origin and get a visa.

    Truth: The General Directorate of Migration and Aliens offers those with underage Costa Rican children the opportunity to not present an up-to-date visa, presenting instead an affidavit.