Reactivation processes for people
with active MPP cases
Are you a person requesting asylum in the United States and you are under the MPP protocol?
The Migrant Protection Protocols (MPP or also known as "Remain in Mexico") was a policy of the United States government that requested asylum seekers to remain in cities in Mexico while their applications are processed.Find the official information here
Persons outside the United States who were not returned to Mexico under MPP, or who do not have active migration cases before the COURT, will not be included under this protocol and should await further instructions.
- Who is included in the MPP program?
- People who were previously registered in the MPP program between January 2019 and January 2021, and who were returned to Mexico.
- Similarly, those individuals in the United States with active MPP cases will receive separate instructions soon.
People outside the United States who were not returned to Mexico under MPP, or who do not have active immigration cases before the court, will not be included under this protocol and will have to wait for further instructions.
- I am not part of MPP. Can I sign up?
No, the MPP program is closed. This program existed between January 2019 and January 2021. There was a suspension of hearings for almost a year and the program was recently closed, which means there is no way to enter or register as an MPP.
- What should I do while I wait for my appointment?
You must register on the site https://conecta.acnur.org/ from anywhere. Once you have registered, additional information will be given to qualifying individuals about where and when to report.
- Should I go to the border?
People should not approach the border until instructed to do so.
- I already registered and they haven't contacted me. Did I do something wrong?
We recommend you to be patient. There are currently 25 thousand active cases under MPP.
- What is the official page?
The official website to register is: https://conecta.acnur.org/
- Where can I read official information from the United States government?
In this link you can find the news published by the Department of Homeland Security.
Press releases: https://www.dhs.gov/comunicados-de-prensa
- Are the measures to prevent the spread of COVID-19 being followed?
People processed through this program will be tested for COVID-19 before entering the United States. They are only allowed to cross when they test negative.
- Does this mean that it is a good time to migrate to the United States?
This announcement should not be construed as an invitation for individuals to migrate irregularly to the United States. Only active cases have started to be processed under the MPP program. The border is closed and there is also a pandemic.
- I have an active case under the MPP program, but I am already in the United States. Should I go somewhere?
Individuals in the United States with active cases under MPP will receive separate instructions soon.
- How can I verify that I have an active MPP case or not?
- What is “Conecta”?
It is a website created to provide safe, reliable and updated information for people under the Migrant Protection Protocol (MPP).
The United States government announced that people under MPP with an active case will be able to enter and continue with their process in the United States. In Conecta you can seek guidance on the steps to follow, make your registration and contact us. Listen to the content of Conecta in Spanish and Portuguese.